Jaslyin Qiyu is the Head of Client Marketing and Digital Channels at Citibank Singapore
1) To kickstart, could you share about your current role, what the company does and a bit about your career background?
I'm currently heading client marketing, communications, and digital channels optimization, governance, and usage. Sitting within the personal wealth management business line of the bank, I lead a team of 7 high-performing marketers straddling across martech, adtech adoption, mobile, and digital sales optimization, customer communications channels governance, crisis comms, brand, and content marketing.
2) Can you describe what your typical workday looks like?
Lots of emails in between back-to-back work meetings! I try to clear my urgent emails in the morning and catch up on the rest in the evening.
3) What does personal growth mean to you?
Being able to achieve something new and learn new things along the way, be it big or small.
Business as usual, routine work bores and scares me, while meaningful challenges and solving impactful problems keep me going.
4) Is there a habit you consciously exercise to ensure you achieve your ideal personal growth?
I do a stock-take every 6 months and updating my resume is part of that process to help me recap what I have achieved, what I could have done more or better, and if I'm where I would still like to be!
5) What does it mean to grow in your career? How do you measure your career growth?
As a people manager, growth to me is as well, helping the people around me and whom I'm leading, to grow and be successful in their own ways.
As an individual, growth also means being able to evolve, learn new things and conquer new challenges to achieve new milestones along the way. This includes being duly recognized for my efforts.
6) Aside from your full-time job, is there anything else you like to do outside work?
I like to mentor aspiring entrepreneurs by helping them with brand and content strategy, and marketing advice. I'm also a self-professed foodie and love traveling with my spouse.
7) Are there any books, podcasts or apps that have been helpful for your growth?
I love reading content from my networks on LinkedIn, especially personal stories. I also like trivia, philosophy, and psychology books as they help me better understand the human psyche and enhance my perspective of the customer.
8) Any tips you’d like to share for those who are looking to venture into similar roles?
Don't worry about specializing in a specific aspect of marketing when you're just starting out. Be open to different areas before you settle into a niche, or even if you don't, it puts you into a position that allows you to see the complete picture of how marketing should work in organizations that know what they are doing.
9) Finally, what is the one quote you always live by?
Treat others the way you want to be treated; everyone poops and thus we are all equal!
Before you go...
Have you been inspired by someone's growth journey recently? Nominate them (or perhaps yourself) to be featured in The Growth Room!
We're always on the lookout to grow for the better. If you have any kind words of encouragement to share, please share your feedback with us.
Lastly, we wanted to thank you for spending a few minutes of your day here at The Growth Room. Just a reminder that you are appreciated *hugs*.